Canada Blooms invites all ages to attend creative garden workshops
March break is just around the corner, and there is no better way to enjoy it than spending time with your family at Canada Blooms!
Featuring more than 30 stunning gardens from Canada’s top garden designers, architects and builders, Canada Blooms will celebrate families of all kinds with the theme ‘A Family Affair’. Looking to spark passion and cultivate interest in gardening and green living, Canada Blooms and the team at Mark’s Choice will also run a series of inventive educational workshops and demonstrations for children of all ages.
March 8-17, 2019 at the Enercare Centre
We want to provide imaginative workshops that will inspire families to have fun and explore the joys of gardening,” says Mark Cullen, gardening expert and President of Mark’s Choice. “No matter what their age, visitors to Canada Blooms will be able to get their hands dirty and learn all about soil and seed planting from experienced Master Gardeners.
Looking for new and exciting garden activities to enjoy this March Break? Here are family-friendly workshops presented by Mark’s Choice and the Master Gardeners of Ontario taking place at Canada Blooms:
- All About Herbs: This workshop will teach children about how to care for herbs and give them the chance to plant their own to take home. Free with show admission, this workshop will run on March 9th, 10th, 15th and 16th.
- Succulent Succulents: Master Gardeners will teach attendees all about succulents! Requiring little water and easy to care for, succulents make a great starter plant for young kids. There will be a demo for kids ages 7-10 to plant their own succulent to bring home. Free with show admission, this workshop will run on March 9th, 10th, 15th, and 16th.
- Make a Seed Bomb: Lead by Master Gardener Leigh-Anne Legault, this exciting demo workshop will give attendees the opportunity to create a seed bomb to take home and learn about starting new seeds for Spring. This workshop is free with admission to Canada Blooms and will run on March 11thand 13th.
- Bee House: For this informative workshop on pollinators, children will learn about mason bees and create their very own bee house to take home. This workshop is free with admission to Canada Blooms and will run on March 11th and 13th.
- Make a Chia (Grass) Head: Drawing inspiration from Chia sprout planters, during this creative workshop Master Builders will show children ages 7-10 how to make ‘grass heads’ and how to care for grass as it grows. Free with admission to Canada Blooms, this workshop runs on March 12th and 14th.
- Backyard Bird Feeder: Invite birds into your garden! Master Builders will teach attendees how to make their own pine cone bird feeders that they can take home with them. This workshop is free with admission to Canada Blooms and will run on March 12th and 14th .
- Veggies for Kids Demo: Lead by Bob Martin, the Veggie Guy, this workshop will teach kids how grow vegetable plants and allow them to take a plant home and show off what they learned. This workshop is free with admission to Canada Blooms and will take place on March 13th.
- Create a Pizza Garden Demo: Discover the best plants to give your pizza pizzazz! Lead by Robert Patterson, this demo will show you how you can create your very own container pizza garden. This workshop is free with admission to Canada Blooms and runs on March 10th and 15th.
Co-located with Canada Blooms, The National Home Show, presented by RE/MAX is also making it a family affair this year and will offer a variety of engaging activities. Parents with little ones will be able to take advantage of FREE daycare and kids of all ages will be able to test their creativity at the colouring station provided by RE/MAX, and don’t forget to join us Monday, March 11th for an Elmer’s Glue DIY Slime Station!
Mark’s Choice is Mark and Ben Cullen’s personal seal of approval on more than 200 gardening products available exclusively at Home Hardware stores across Canada.
No need to wait for spring to get lost in a paradise of heavenly plants. Celebrate Spring at Canada Blooms’ top picks for the best indoor gardens you and your family will be sure to love:
Allan Gardens Conservatory – Open 365 days a year, this historic, botanical treasure located in downtown Toronto is the perfect place for an afternoon getaway with your Valentine. Wander through six different greenhouses showcasing exotic and diverse plants from around the world including palms, banana trees, orchids, jasmine and gingers. Website
Centennial Park Conservatory – Also open year-round, this 12,000 square foot horticultural gem in Etobicoke features a tropical house, arid house and show house, displaying a range of fascinating plant collections and breathtaking seasonal displays. It is the ideal spot to refresh, relax, reconnect and recharge with your loved one on February 14th. Website
Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory – If you’re looking for something unique and special, this 11,000 square foot greenhouse is home to over 100 species of exotic plants and flowers, and for an extra treat – there are free flying butterflies fluttering around everywhere you turn! Talk about an unforgettable date strolling through this wondrous paradise. Website
Toronto Botanical Garden – Now, if you don’t mind the weather or need to catch a breath of fresh air, a romantic walk through the outdoor trails of this botanical garden is always an option. If your date is really looking forward to springtime, be sure to take them to the Toronto Botanical Garden’s annual Jump On Spring event for an early dose of the vernal season.
About Canada Blooms
Canada Blooms is an annual world-class festival that connects people to the joys and benefits of nature through experiences with gardens and flowers by promoting, educating, inspiring and celebrating all aspects of horticulture. A not-for-profit organization that gives back to the community throughout the year by funding community garden projects around Ontario, Canada Blooms is also dedicated to providing the community with horticulture expertise, education and resources on an ongoing basis.
Now entering its 23rd year, Canada Blooms was founded by Landscape Ontario and The Garden Club of Toronto. Each year it is supported by a committed group of partners, sponsors and volunteers. Canada Blooms has been named One of Ontario’s Top 100 Events by Festivals and Events Ontario and One of North America’s Top 100 Events by the American Bus Association.
About Mark’s Choice
Mark’s Choice Ltd. is a horticultural communications and marketing company, with the brand being attached to dozens of products available at Home Hardware stores across Canada — including gardening tools, soil, seeds, gloves and other equipment useful in the garden. Before a product is approved as Mark’s Choice, it must past rigorous testing, ensuring it is made from high-quality materials, meets the needs of Canadian home gardeners, is tough enough to stand up to commercial use and will help Canadians create great looking lawns and gardens. Possibly Canada’s best-known gardener, Mark’s Choice President Mark Cullen is a third generation career gardener, and a “garden communicator” unlike any other. He is a best-selling author, with more than 20 books on gardening to his credit. Mr. Cullen actively maintains his website markcullen.com, where he has answered more than 10,000 questions from gardeners across the country.