Getting the goodness of greens into your child or tweens diet can be a real battle, it’s even a challenge for us parents, often opting for a quick snack or sugary drink to tide us over.
This simple green smoothie is packed with nutrition, and tastes like a sweet treat so kids love it! This is one of my daily go to’s for a quick smoothie that often gets shared with the family. I find it gives me a pick me up and a real energy boost!
Using frozen kale is the trick to it’s milder flavour. If you can’t find frozen Kale in the store, just buy (or grow) fresh, then wash, destem it, and freeze. I find the freezing changes it flavour enough that it is almost undetectable in smoothies. Note: This recipe works just as well with frozen spinach in place of the kale.
These ingredients are easy to find any time of the year, either fresh or frozen. I recommend blending in a high power blender like a Vitamix (more on that below) but good results can be achieved with other blenders, you may just need to blend a little longer, use fresh instead of frozen ingredients, or just accept a little more texture in the final mix.
Sweet Greens Smoothie
- 1 cup coconut or almond milk unsweetened
- .5 cup water
- 1 cup frozen kale
- 1 banana
- 1/2 orange peeled
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- .5 cup forzen mango optional
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 cup ice
- Add all ingredients to your blender in order listed
- Blend on a low speed for a few seconds, then turn the variable speed up to 10 (you can also use the Smoothie setting on a Vitamix Pro or Smart System blender). If mixture is too thick use a tamper, or add small amounts of water to get it moving. Don't use too much or you will end up with a thin mixture, trust the blender it will thin out your mixture in a few seconds, this smoothie is best enjoyed thick and creamy. Blend for at least 1 minute. The nutrients in the kale will be more easily digested and absorbed if you can blend a little longer - about 2 minutes. Don't skip the orange as it helps in the digestion of the nutrients in the kale. If you don;t have an orange use a little orange juice instead, and reduce the water.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!
If you are considering a Vitamix, I can not recommend these miracle machines more! I have been blending with our Vitamix 5200 almost daily for the past 12 years, and recently added a shiny new Vitamix Professional Series 750 to our countertop this year (we grabbed it on sale and paid on their monthly payment plan). You can purchase one of these powerful blenders, additional containers (essential if you have a low profile 64 ounce container) and accessories using any link from our website and you’ll receive free shipping on your order! The Vitamix Professional Series 750 is also available at amazon.ca with free shipping for Prime Members.
Do you have a question about Vitamix blenders or recipes? We’ve been blending for toddlers to teens since 2008 and would love to pass on some of the knowledge we’ve gained over the years! Please comment your questions below!
When you make purchases using a link to Vitamix from our site, you will receive get free shipping and we could earn a commission (at no extra cost to you). This little bit helps support this site and we appreciate it more than you know! We also might make a commission if you purchase your blender from amazon.ca. Happy Blending!