Updated November 14, 2023
Christmas Tree Farms near the GTA
With Christmas just around the corner, many may recall last years trek through deep snow, axe in hand, circling evergreens and sizing up countless prickly specimens. For many families this annual Christmas tree hunt is a favourite holiday tradition so it’s nice to know that not only is it a great winter outing but it’s also an environmentally friendly choice (not to mention a priceless photo opportunity!). Find tree farms near you in our guide below.
Here a few things you might not have known about getting a ‘real’ tree from a tree farm near you, and why it’s a wise choice this Christmas.
- Tree farms stabilize soil, protect water supplies and provide refuge for wildlife. Real trees are a renewable, recyclable resource.
- For every real Christmas tree harvested, 2 to 3 seedlings are planted.
- Each acre provides enough daily oxygen for 18 people!
- Real trees are a product of local farmers, they are grown right here in York Region.
- Many tree farms offer sleigh rides, cozy bonfires and hot chocolate.
Find family friendly Tree Farms in the GTA, York Region, Durham Region, Peel, Simcoe and Dufferin Counties. Many farms offer wagon or sleigh rides, hot chocolate and a bon fires!
Cut Your Own Christmas Tree Farms in and around the GTA
Cormack’s Tree Farm
Cut your own tree from over 10 fields of Pine, Fir, and Spruce trees, or select from pre-cuts in the barn!
- Open December 2 & 3, and December 9 & 10, 2023
- 6169 Front St, Goodwood, ON
MacPherson Tree Farm
White, Scotch pine; White, Blue spruce; Fir. Baling. Donated crafts sale. On weekends: wagon rides, scavenger hunts, free hot chocolate, use of saws, bailing of trees, and rope to tie onto your car. (Masks will be encouraged and 6 ft distance between families).
- Cedar Valley – 17422 Hwy 48 (Markham Rd) 5 min east of Newmarket (404 and Davis Dr); 2nd driveway south of Davis Dr. on west side of Hwy 48.
- 905-473-6668 or 905-473-3173
Middleton’s Christmas Tree Farm
Watch for signs. Small, quiet family farm. Ample parking close to trees – ideal for seniors or small children. Beautifully pruned Scotch pine, Balsam and Canaan fir. Free baling. Take a walk through their trails, or feel free to bring a toboggan!
- Weekends, dawn to dusk or by appointment weekdays.
- Stouffville – Hwy 404 to Aurora Rd., E 11km to 9th Line; N 2.5km.
Tufford Family Tree Farm
Small family farm. Scotch and White pine, White and Norway spruce, Balsam fir. Non-commercial setting, dogs welcome. Weekend refreshments, safe toboganning hill for the kids, open daily & weekends, free hot chocolate and cider, homemade cookies, open fire.
- Open Wednesday to Sunday
- Stouffville – 5578 St. John’s Sideroad. Take Highway 404 north to Aurora Sideroad, then east to Ballantrae. Go north 2 km. on Highway 48 to St. John sideroad then east to farm.
Choose and Harvest your own trees, Scotch Pine, Spruce, Cannan and Balsam Fir. Fresh apple cider, hot chocolate and a bonfire to warm yourself round out the perfect Christmas family outing. Wreaths, garland, boughs, dogwood, cones. Cash & Cheque only.
- Opens for the season November 25, 2023
- Weekdays Noon to 5:00 p.m., Weekends 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Stouffville – Hwy 48 and Vivian Road
Horton Tree Farms, Home Farm
You cut spruce and balsam fir up to 8′. Pre-cut Balsam fir and Green and Blue spruce up to 8′. Tree baling. Tractor drawn wagon rides, bonfire. Free hot chocolate in the old log cabin. One of Ontario’s oldest tree farms, beautiful scenery, rustic setting, peaceful ambience.
- Opening November 25, 2023
- Saturdays & Sundays
- 9am – 4:30 pm
- Stouffville – Hwy 404 to Aurora Rd, E 3km to Warden, S 1km.
Prestonvale Tree Farms
Large selection of quality Fraser Fir, Balsam Fir, Spruce and Pine trees ready to be cut on 60+ acres. Saws are provided. Free shaking and baling. Rest area with refreshments available for purchase. Dogs are welcome provided they are on a leash.
- 1421 Prestinvale Road, Courtice ON L1E 2P2
From Toronto take Hwy 401 E to Bloor/Harmony Rd exit (#419), E on Bloor 3km, S on Prestonvale.
Spademan Tree Farm
White Spruce, Blue Spruce, and Fir trees – cut your own or pre-cut. Enjoy complimentary hot chocolate & coffee, wagon rides, and a bonfire to keep toasty! Food is available for purchase.
- Open Wednesday through Sundays beginning November 25, 2023
- See website for times
- 545 Regional Road 21, Port Perry, Ontario L9L 1B5
Cut your own Balsam Fir, Canaan Fir, and a few Fraser Fir, also White and Blue Spruce. Unique gifts, hot apple pies and hot apple cider.
- 14800 Innis Lake Road, Caledon, ON
Downey’s Farm Market
Downey’s sells fresh pre-cut Fraser Fir, but also offer Balsam Fir, White Pine, and Scotch Pine. Enjoy Christmas Trees, gift baskets, fresh free-range turkeys, and great bakery foods, right from the farm all season long, enjoy fresh-pressed cider and great holiday cheer!
- Pre-cut trees available from November 24th – December, 24th 2023
- See website for hours.
- 13682 Heart Lake Road, Brampton, Ontario L7C 2J5
Elliot Tree Farm
Spend the day enjoying nature trails, visiting a 1850 Settler’s Cabin and Heritage Barn. Warm yourself with a hot cup of cider while you select and harvest your own Christmas Tree or choose from a pre-harvested Christmas Tree. Offering fresh cut greens for you to create your own bows, wreaths and urns or you can select and order pre-arranged settings from the Heritage Barn.
- Open daily beginning mid-November
- See website for days and times
- 9467 Erin East Garafraxa Townline, Hillsburgh Ontario, N0B 1Z0
SIMCOE AND DUFFERIN COUNTIES
Hockley Tree Farm
Enjoy an old time country Christmas at a century old farm. Take in a wagon ride in the scenic Hockley Valley to harvest your tree or pick from our large selection of pre-cut trees. Choose from Fir, Blue and White Spruce or Scotch Pine trees. Visit the Christmas Store inside an 1894 restored barn for hand-made crafts. Enjoy hot cider by a warm fire while your tree is wrapped.
- Weekends 9am to dusk; Weekdays 12pm to dusk
- 307509 Hockley Road, Mono, L9W 6M9
Quesnels Christmas Tree Farm
A selection of White Spruce, Blue Spruce and Fraser Fir. Trees are hand planted and pruned each and every summer for their 8-15 year life span.
- 4274 County Rd. 124 Collingwood Ontario
Dysdales Tree Farm
The holiday season turns to winter magic beginning mid November and every weekend till Christmas as the Drysdale’s village comes to life. Choose and cut your perfect spruce or fir tree from our fabulous 400 acre plantation. Fresh cut trees are also available for your convenience, along with handmade fraser fir, white pine and cedar wreaths and garland. Shopping in the Evergreen Store.
Do you know of another Christmas tree farm near you? Help out a local tree farm we are missing by commenting their name and address below.