Strawberry picking in Ontario is a ‘must do’ family activity. What could make a better family day trip than spending an afternoon with the kids outdoors, supporting local farmers and heading home with some delicious, sweet and healthy homegrown berries. It’s an affordable day out you’ll want to plan for every June. See below for local pick your own farms and strawberry picking tips.
Strawberry Picking Tips
- Dress appropriately: Sunscreen and hats go without saying, but berry picking can be messy and you’ll spend quite a bit of time on your knees and walking – so be sure to wear comfortable clothing and footwear that you aren’t worried about getting dirty.
- Bring your own containers: Not all farms provide baskets, so it’s best to bring your own. Shallow containers are best to avoid squashing.
- Don’t overfill: Fruit can get heavy so be careful not to overfill you’ll end up with flattened, mushy berries near the bottom!
- Pick carefully: Pick strawberries off the bush by twisting at the stem. Berries can bruise and be squashed easily so place them gently into your containers.
- Call ahead: Check to be sure your farm is open for the day and inquire about the condition of the berries. Some farms will have automated messages, or even blogs with current conditions posted. Typically Strawberry season runs from mid June ending sometime in July.
- Cleaning: Rinse your strawberries in a mixture of water and vinegar to kill off any molds or spores that can be on the surface, this will make your strawberries last up to whole week longer. Store your strawberries in the fridge.
Local Pick-Your-Own Berry Farms
Please Note: Some Strawberry farms are closed due to Coronavirus precautions. Please visit the website of the venue for more information before heading out.
Applewood Farm & Winery
12442 McCowan Rd, Whitchurch-Stouffville, ON
141 Ashworth Rd #122, Mt Albert, ON
Organics Family Farm
7550 19th Ave, Markham, ON
Reesor Farm Market
10825 Ninth Line, Markham, ON
Strawberry Creek Farms
Woodbine & Davis Drive, Newmarket ON
Trapper Bob Farm
16864 Warden Ave, Newmarket, ON
Forsythe Family Farms
1025 Cragg Road, Uxbridge, ON
4440 Garden St., Whitby, ON
Linton’s Farm Market
571 Raglan Rd. E , Oshawa, ON
RR #3, Sunderland, ON
Twinkle Berry Farm Market
Concession 7, just south of Sandford Road, Uxbridge, ON
Barrie Hill Farms
2935 Barrie Hill Rd, Springwater, ON
The Big’r Apple Farm
8674 Heritage Road, Brampton, ON
Rock Garden Farms
16930 Airport Road, Caledon, ON
1583 Maple Grove Rd. Bowmanville, ON
7388 Guelph Line, Campbellville
If you know of another local Pick-Your-Own berry farm please let us know by commenting below…